· Someone comes home to visit her sister who is quite immobile; a phone call to know how I am in the middle of all the church trouble. Visitations!
· The pilgrim God with his people. Jesus’ first journey in the womb of Mary! He journeys on our life’s path, always there. He was her protector – she had seen earlier that all to do with this pregnancy was protected by God. It would be most unusual for a woman in those days to travel alone. Mary may have gone with others but may have just put her trust in God. God’s life within her protected her as it protects us. Other times we will find God visits us through the visitation of others.
· A visit of God does something for us – redeems us,. We forgive at Christmas we make things up, we reform bonds.
· Maybe we can refind faith in the simple God who came to us long before any church and who can influence our lives from within and beyond the church.
· John and Jesus seemed to recognise one another. In some strange way the Spirit entered Mary and Elizabeth in a new way. Maybe we can recognise the signs of God in love, care, justice, forgiveness and renewal these days. In the simple ways these can happen, like the unexpected gift which may say sorry, the tentative visit of reconciliation and the time spent which enhances the quality of relationships.
Donal Neary SJ.